WHAT IS HIV?
HIV stands for (human immunodeficiency virus) targets the immune system and weakens people's defense against many infections. As the virus destroys and impairs the function of immune cells, infected individuals gradually become immunodeficient. Immune function is typically measured by CD4 cell count.
HOW IS HIV PREVENTED.?
A person can reduce the risk of HIV infection by limiting exposure to risk factors. Key approaches for HIV prevention are as follows:-
- This includes measures of prevention that stops occurrence of infection
- Active promotion and support for delayed sexual debutProvide young people with the correct information on sexuality and sex
- Friendly Counseling and Testing services to know ones status
- Promote safer sex practices
- Be faithful to one HIV negative partner
- Correct and consistent use of male and female condom
- Discourage intergenerational sex
- Prevention, early diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Male circumcision